42 of 52: Sew Much Love

Recently the kids and I did a little sewing project with felt. Here I am* helping Maya sew together a little pillow for her doll. We picked up this little machine at Joann Fabrics a while back for under 30 dollars and the multi-colored felt for 25 cents a sheet. Fun fun!

I also made these new fleece blankets for the kids recently. I stayed up late a few night to get them made after the kids were in bed and sleeping so they would be a surprise. I think I look a bit tired in this picture that Randy took of me one night (above)...

I made the blankets with anti-pill fleece and double layered for extra warmth and "cozyness". I was worried that it wouldn't be easy to replace their old fleece blanket but I was wrong. They can't wait to go to bed now.... well, maybe that's stretching it a little.... But they do like them and gave up their old ones!
Now Kyla wants to sew Valentines cards with her little machine. We'll have to see what we can come up with.

Have a wonderful Thursday!


Forever In Blue Jeans
*52 Weeks is a year long challenge for YOU to be in a picture once a week for 52 weeks. We are always the ones behind the camera, this is YOUR chance to get out in front and be in the pictures with your family. We are glad you are joining this challenge. More importantly your family will really enjoy having you in the picture. Thanks for playing along! Oh, you can just jump in now with 1 of 52, you're not getting off that easy! Now go take a picture!

20 comments:

The J's said...

Those look delightful!
I've ogled over the fleece so many times at the fabric store!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Looks like a great project.

Carin said...

Alison those are such great pictures! That first one is a winner, the sunlight falling on you, a momma teaching her daughter, just precious!

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love the heart effect, of course the smiles of all of you.

Shoot Me

Wrena said...

:) Very inspiring too! THX

Anonymous said...

Dear Sew Sweet,
My husband's grandmother made our older two each a fleece blanket. They love them and take them everywhere. The fabric has held up really nice. Someone also made Pip a fleece tied blanket and it's nice and cuddly too.

I love felt! It's so great for kid projects. That is so great you are teaching them to sew early. The little machine is a great idea.

Love,
Heart Felt in NE

Darcie said...

Looks like there is a lot of LOVE going around in the form of spending quality time together. What great pictures to remember your little projects.

tjp said...

Would you recommend the little sewing machine for kids? I hadn't even thought of that...just thought I'd have K wait a few more years before turning her loose on my machine. But she'd love to sew NOW...so.....

Marice said...

awww we got the same post :) but you did way better than mine :) great job and lovely photos!

u may view mine here

Elaine said...

love the one of you and Maya. Precious!!!!

Heather S said...

love that 1st picture!! I've tho't about getting our kids a little machine. But i need to get more educated with my big one 1st :)

jen@odbt said...

I just read another sewing post...that is something I need to teach myself. Love how the projects turned out.

All American Family said...

awww...how warm and fuzzy. ;) I made each of the kids a fleece blanket this winter and now I'm making my Dad one. They're the tie kind though, I hardly know how to sew a button on a shirt! ;) I'm in LOVE with the top picture. You're one awesome Mom!

Melinda said...

We like this post too. My boys are still loving the fleece blankets you and mom made for them. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Such a fun project. We've made these a couple of times in our kids childhood. In fact, I'm snuggled up under my latest version, right now... husky dogs on a winterish background.

Alison said...

Thanks everyone for the fun comments!

Rae-you have the funnest comments ever! It's worth creating blog posts just to get a comment from you! LOL!

tjp-this is a fun little machine but you gotta watch little fingers with it. Kyla does fine with it but I have to help the other 2. Singer has a very cheap little kids machine with a shield around the needle but it is very troublesome! ;)

Maurice-how fun! you do a great job too!

Erin said...

Gorgeous blankets and awesome picture of tired mom working for her kids...how did you finish the edges of the blankets? Blanket binding?

Leah said...

Great together project and such a cute little sewing machine.... Curious to see the valentine sewing project...

Kate said...

I have to agree with Carin. I absolutely adore the first picture of you teaching her how to sew. I have yet to purchase a sewing machine, but I plan to. I have never learned how to use one! I wish you were closer to teach me. I have been wanting to learn to make some scrapbook pages with one too.

Alison said...

Thankyou Erin... I sewed the edges of the blanket together (right sides facing each other) except for about 8 inches. Then I turned the blanket right side out through the hole. Then I hand stitched that 8 inch hole. Then I just sewed all around the edge leaving about an inch and a half edge. It turned out really nice. Does this make sense!? No, I didn't use blanket binding.