Memory Lane Monday: The Streets of Dresden


Even though I take most of the pictures now-a-days, my husband is the real photographer in our home. He's been at is since high-school when he took journalism and dove head first into learning about photography.

These pictures were a gift he gave to me back in the fall of 1999. No, they were not framed and wrapped up with pretty paper. Instead they were quickly developed at the Walmart Photocenter and I devoured each one as we sat together on the couch in our rented house in town. Then they were safely slid into photo albums that sit in our living-room bookshelves. Now these are memories that are still a gift today.

These pictures were taken in Dresden, "East" Germany when Randy went there for two weeks of work back in the fall of '99. He ended up having quite a bit of time for site-seeing and a good tour guide. He took lots of wonderful pictures, but today I'll just share some of the street ones that I love...

He said many of the windows looked like this...

He saw many buildings like this. They were still being rebuilt from the bomb destruction of World War II...

A narrow brick street and lovely colorful buildings...

The ancient architecture...

This has to be one of my ALL TIME favorites! He said many of the brick streets wound around up the hills and out of sight. The colors are stunning...

Horse and buggy for hire...

Just another fabulous street scape!
Over the last 3 years of blogging, a lot of my favorite posts have been when I posted pictures/stories from the past. Whether 1 year old or 1 hundred years old, these pictures and stories have been like taking a pleasant stroll down Memory Lane. Some of you have enjoyed walking along with me and I have walking along with many of you too!

I would like to make this my new weekly challenge. Every Monday, I will try to post a new "Memory Lane Monday" post. When I was looking for a "Lane" picture to use for my button (below) I came across these pictures of Dresden and knew I had found the perfect material for my first post. You can grab my button below and join along if you wish.

What's around the next corner on Memory Lane?
See you next Monday!


From This Front Porch

Grab my button and take your own walk down memory lane every Monday!
(copy and paste this code)

Don't forget to leave me a comment so I can walk along with you...

8 comments:

Darcie said...

Oh my word...I am in LOVE...with these pictures!!! They are so gorgeous. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the button picture, the colors are just amazing. Seriously beautiful! What a great idea...can't wait for next Monday!

Heather S said...

My tho'ts are the same as Darcie! Love it and can't wait until next monday!!

gkey said...

dear Vivid Memory & Vibrant Color,
Beautifully done!
Epecially love the flower filled window boxes.
love,
Pictures are better than postcards

HrdWrknmn said...

What fun pictures! Thanks for the comment too. I do love my Frontier, would not change it for anything! You have a beautiful Front Porch too!

Benjamin Ranch said...

I will look forward to each of your posts going down memory lane! It was really special to see you in person yesterday!

Melinda said...

What a great idea! We look forward to following along. Would love to go dig out my paper photos and do the same - you've got me thinkin'!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! They make me want to go... it will be fun to see where your memories take you. Thanks for letting us come along.

The J's said...

What beautiful photos! Since my mom travels so much I've enjoyed seeing many great old cities & landscapes of other places that she takes. This is a fun challenge, I'd like to join in if I can manage to get the internet thing straightened out!