Memory Lane Monday: Bonnie R.


This week my thoughts and memories have been with Bonnie R.and her recent passing. She would have been 99 this summer. I have some sweet memories of her throughout my life. Here is a picture taken in 1982 that I wanted to share today...

Me with my grandma Alice, great-aunt Sylvia, Dottie and Bonnie


Bonnie gave me the Sand Dollar that you see in the picture at the top of this post in 1989. She had one that was broken open and she showed me the doves that were inside of it. We sat there, together in my Grandparents living room, and marveled over the beauty and wonder of it...


I was reading about the sand dollar and noticed that it's a dark color when it is living. After it dies and is washed up on shore, the sun bleaches it white. The top of the sand dollar has a five-fold radial pattern like a star or a flower. If you break it open, there are little dove-like shells inside that once were the teeth of the sand dollar. As I sit here and gently shake my sand dollar, I hear the little pieces inside.

More than this little sand dollar that she's left behind with me, I am so, so thankful for the quiet sweet influence Bonnie had on my life throughout my younger years. I'm thankful for her 75 years of service in a work that she saw as greater than her own plans and desires. I'm thankful that she had time to stop and talk and share something with me that day. Like the quiet sand dollar that sits on my shelf, there was something truly beautiful inside.



What's around the next corner on Memory Lane?
See you next Monday!





From This Front Porch


Grab my button and take your own walk down memory lane every Monday!
(copy and paste this code)


Don't forget to leave me a comment so I can walk along with you!

No comments: