This is NOT a test...


As I sit at my computer this morning, surrounded by the smoke of hundreds of fires burning around us, I'm reminded how helpless we are again, in the face of the powers of nature.  

We're dealing with the fires here.  Mostly staying inside and hoping for rain, without lightning and without wind.  Our thoughts go to many who have lost homes and are in the path of danger everywhere.  Our thanks go to those who are out fighting the fires.

I was just reminded of another "power of nature" that we encountered last month.  So, as I sort through our trip pictures, I'll share these with you.

When the alarm sounded on Randy's phone as we were traveling along one day, we knew "this is NOT a test".  "TORNADO WARNING: TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY!"  As we looked east out the windows, these pictures are what we saw.

This is another reason July was such a month to remember in our lives.  We will never forget this day!


Can anyone guess where we saw this tornado?

This IS a test...

The person who gets the closest answer will get a "smokey" Starbucks Gift Card
for $10 in the mail. (Sorry Kyla and other members of the family, you can not enter since you already know :)

And, would you rather deal with fires or tornados?  Just curious...

I'll leave this "test" up for a few days as I go through my trip pictures and start posting them. :)

From these smokey skies of Montana
Alison

4 comments:

AJWG said...

Ooh, not cool! I'm not sure which I would RATHER have, but I really hate the drama of a tornado!! We're smothered in smoke too, so I know that it's not fun either. As far as where you ran into the tornado... the corn makes me guess Kansas, Nebraska, or maybe even Billings area. But I'm going to go with Kansas!

Ryan said...

Somewhere around Laura Ingalls Wilder's home that you were going to visit, maybe?
As for tornadoes/fires...Mom and Dad just narrowly avoided losing their home so I know fires are no fun but I'd rather not experience a tornado either!

Anonymous said...

It was not too far from De Smet SD. A little to the West and South perhaps?
Rob K

tjp said...

It's funny that you posed that question because I was wondering the same thing myself! We've dealt with tornados for years...one hit not far from our house and did a lot of damage (but nobody died). I don't know...I think out of control wildfires might be more scary?