Out Family Trip 2015 - Home For Harvest!

The Harvest Crew 2015!

After our windy drive across North Dakota, we reached Grandpa Larry's Farm on Wednesday, July 29th, the 13th day of our trip.  All along, our hope had been to be at the farm for harvest, but earlier it had looked like we would be too early to get in on it.  When we got there however, plans soon changed and harvest was in full swing.  That's the way it is with these things and we were so happy to be able to experience harvest again, after several years of missing it!

We found another resting place for our trailer in Grandpa's yard...

This was Melita's first time to experience harvest as we hadn't been back since she was born.  She loved every minute of it!

Getting a ride on the dune buggy that Daddy built years ago...

And a ride in Grandpas combine...

And another ride in one of the grain trucks!

Soon the big combines got to work on the fields and we enjoyed riding and watching...

Harvest Days...

Beautiful fields of wheat...

My girls and I kept busy in the kitchen when we weren't out in the fields.  Strawberry shortcake by Kyla...

And Chocolate Chip cookies by Maya...

Supper out of the back of the pickup every evening...

Another meal and Melita looks tired!

Enjoying the last days of our trip together...

Colter was mostly out in the combines and trucks with the guys this year.  I'm so glad that he gets to experience this every now and then... 

The girls and I also found time to go on several four wheeler rides around the country.  It was an awesome and beautiful time together with Melita and myself on one and Kyla and Maya on the other.

Every time we go back to harvest, I search for this old farming equipment, abandoned out in the field long, long ago...

If only they could talk...

The stories they could tell!

Besides all our fun on the farm, the girls and I also headed into town and went school shopping.  Who would have thought we would find such great shopping in WP?  Well, we did!  We found lots of quality, name brand items at great prices in a couple stores we visited.

More fun on the quad with Maya!  This was her first time to drive one. :)

The guys worked late into the night.  The evening before we had to leave, the wheat was all in the bins and harvest 2015 was complete.  It's always special to see harvest finished!  It was simply a wonderful time.


On Sunday Morning, August 2nd, day 17 of our trip, we headed down the road going west.  About and hour down the road we stopped for a Sunday Morning Fellowship Meeting with some of our dear friends.  It was so good to see them a long the way.  Then we got in the pickup and headed home.  It was a long trip that day and we were so glad to get back to our side of the mountain.  Here we stopped for a little break after going over Marias Pass...

We enjoyed our trip so, so much but I think we were all ready to be home at last.  I think this last picture of Melita sums up how we all felt as we faced the last few miles of our trip leading home.  Happy but a little crazy...


And that sums it up.  The kids just enjoyed looking through all these trip posts tonight and I was reminded of why I spend time and do this blog thing.  They LOVED it!

And as I wrap this whole thing up, I was reminded of some thoughts that I wrote down after we went on our last family trip.  They perfectly sum up how I felt about this trip too. Here they are...

I've been away for a while.

We've all been away for a while.

In fact, this is the longest outing we've ever taken since we've been a family.

It's been wonderful. It's been rich. It's been epic.

It's been all of the above.

Tonight I find myself struggling with the fact that tomorrow we will return to r.e.a.l. life.

I'm going to miss every minute and every mile, every special place, and every special face we've left behind us,

I'm going to miss the adventures each new day brought,

I'm going to miss the map in one hand because the GPS didn't always know the way; and I'm going to miss the camera in my other hand.

But most of all I'm going to miss the 24/7 time spent with my family, all 5/6th's of them.


Thanks for following along!  Hope you enjoyed the trip.
Alison

No comments: