25 of 52: Firewood 2009

Last Saturday we went out in the mountains behind our house to get firewood for the winter. It was a beautiful day and brought back memories of the many firewood outings with my family growing up and now more recently our own family going out together.




The one tree we found on Saturday was quite a ways from the pick-up, so Randy cut it in longer sections and we end-over-ended and then rolled them down the mountain until they got just above the road. One of the sections I was moving down the hill decided to go across the road and down the hill a little ways but fortunately not to far. It was one of the bigger pieces and we had a time hauling it back up onto the road where we could get it in the pick-up.


Then we spent the rest of the afternoon scouting out more trees to get. The bear (below) ran across the road in front of us and then watched us for a while through the trees. He was SO cute and cuddly looking! So fun to see him.


We got home and unloaded the wood to be cut up, chopped and stacked later. We get to go out again this Saturday. I guess if winter has to come, I'm glad we get to look forward to the toasty warm fire... I think it will be sooner than I want to think about...

All for now,

Forever In Blue Jeans
52 Weeks is a year long challenge for YOU to be in a picture once a week for 52 weeks. We are always the ones behind the camera, this is YOUR chance to get out in front and be in the pictures with our family. We are glad you are joining this challenge. More importantly your family will really enjoy having you in the picture. Thanks for playing along! Oh, you can just jump in now with 1 of 52, you're not getting off that easy! Now go take a picture!

14 comments:

Carin said...

I absolutely love your family pic!!! How can we both live in MT and have such different terrain? I'm coming to live with you all =)
Fun seeing the bear too.

A Lady Called Amy said...

Cute fam! :-D

And what a beautiful area! I've never been to MT, but that makes me wanna check it out!

Darcie said...

Your pictues bring back memories for me too Alison! My sis and I went with my dad quite a bit too to gather firewood.

About that bear...why am I so nervous around bears? I would have been high tailing it back to the car. He is cute...in a picture that is.

Enjoy your cozy fires...we have gas..not quite the same.

Heather S said...

We have a wood stove too. Although we don't get to enjoy such great scenery getting it! :)

Anonymous said...

I love firewood season...the smells,crisp air, fall colors! Wonderful memories here too! We are needing to get out haul some ourselves...

Erin

Marice said...

nice pictures :) and looks like u guys had fun durin that season!

mine is up too

Lani said...

Amazing. And I, too, am in love with the family picture of you at the top. That's a framer. What neat experiences you all get living where you are. But cute and cuddly? I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I'd be heading back to the vehicle... FAST! ;)

Ryan said...

These pics do bring back memories! Looks like the kids enjoyed themselves and I love the family pic too.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see a great Montana tradition continuing into the next generation. We have wonderful memories of our family wood gathering expeditions. Wonder if Jolene remembers being "hung" on the pickup door handle in her carrier when she was about 1? Have a picture of that somewhere......
Unc Joe

Kate said...

Hey Allison,
I love that family picture too. We need to refill our wood pile soon. There really is nothing like a warm wood stove when it is snowing and blowing out. I don't even mind stacking wood. It really is a good workout. :)

Andrea said...

What a beautiful Saturday - I love your pictures! We miss you all.

Melinda said...

Aw yes! Wonderful memories! And to think, we just tore out our fire place :( Well, we still have a wood stove in the garage, so have an excuse to go wood hunting. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I can smell that fresh cut wood from here. :) It's hard to believe it's that time of year again, but we always look forward to the cozy fireplace evenings, too. Great family activity!

Alison said...

Thanks everyone for the great comments. They made me smile and laugh. Sounds like a good place for Jolene, Unc Joe!

About the bear. We were in the pickup when we saw him/her. So I felt plenty safe but seriously, when it ran across the road and up the ditch it looked like a huge, furry, stuffed teddy bear! And it is quite rare to see a bear (black or brown) in the wild so it was pretty cool to see.

We got more wood on Saturday. Another beautiful day. Supposed to turn COLD now.

Thanks again all! Alison