28 of 52: Unexpected Fruit!

What a surprise it was last week to have the opportunity to go and pick grapes with our friend Lovie! Someone that she knew had this beautiful grape vine all along their deck and they couldn't use all the grapes so they wanted her to come and get them. We picked all these sweet, juicy grapes in the first snow...

Here is Lovie hard at work...
And Maya cutting down the clusters of grapes too...
I filled up 6 plastic grocery bags with grapes! Wow, now what do I do with them??? Lovie suggested making Grape juice and canning is so I make 5 pints of that...

Then I managed to give away a couple bags of grapes...
And today, I finally finished making grape jelly. I ended up with 25 assorted jars of grape jelly! They all sealed and they are setting up.

Here is a picture with three of my helpers. My biggest helper was taking the picture. He stood at the sink with me the other night cleaning and pulling grapes of their stems for a couple hours.


We also picked loads of apples and plums(thanks mostly to Loren and Larry)! So we've done some applesauce and plum freezing and drying. I plan on making plum jam and plum syrup as soon as time permits. And most of the apples will be turned into Apple cider this weekend. Pictures to come!

All for now,

Forever In Blue Jeans
52 Weeks is a year long challenge for YOU to be in a picture once a week for 52 weeks. We are always the ones behind the camera, this is YOUR chance to get out in front and be in the pictures with our family. We are glad you are joining this challenge. More importantly your family will really enjoy having you in the picture. Thanks for playing along! Oh, you can just jump in now with 1 of 52, you're not getting off that easy! Now go take a picture!

11 comments:

Melinda said...

Grapes! How fun! Can we come raid your pantry? Janis just brought her apple peeler and dehydrator over this evening, so we put our first batch of apples in tonight. We're excited for a crunchy treat tomorrow.

Carin said...

Oh wow, I had no idea grapes could grow there. so neat. Great pictures Alison!

grace said...

Hmmm looks delicious. We do not have grapes here.

The J's said...

wow, how lovely! Mine haven't put on enough yet, but I got 3 large paper grocery bags from my friend. I canned jelly and juice. Ummm!

Heather S said...

I never done anything with grapes, although I do love grape jelly! Looks like you've got 3 happy helpers! :)

Anonymous said...

OK - so who has the purple feet from stomping the grapes?
Unc Joe

Anonymous said...

Mmmm-grapes. No, I wouldn't have guessed they'd grow there, either. Beautiful vines... are they concords?

Lani said...

Phew! That's a lot of work, but I have a feeling you're gonna be enjoying those grapes for awhile. The pix of them on the vine are amazing and beautiful.

Darcie said...

WOW...I have to add...I didn't know you could get them there either. Looks like you will be enjoying all your work for a while.

Dale or Bonnie said...

Your picture with the snow on the grapes on the vine is postcard worthy... I love it! Also, the fresh-squeezed apple cider was such a treat on Saturday. Thanks for a wonderful time.

Alison said...

Like so many of you, I didn't realize until recently that grapes grow here. I know they grow a little ways south down by the lake but not here farther up the valley! So cool!