32 of 52: Meat Packaging

We spent Monday and Tuesday evenings cutting up and processing elk meat here at our house. Unfortunately, we didn't get the camera out until after we had put the kids to bed the other night but at least you can see the evidence of their help in the picture below. Kyla wrote on the steak packages and Colter did the roast packages...
I wish I had a picture of Randy to share because he did most of the work. And Maya really wanted to help but not much she could do with knives and meat grinders...

Tonight we will start on processing the deer.

Oh, and I'll post hunting pictures soon!

Forever In Blue Jeans

52 Weeks is a year long challenge for YOU to be in a picture once a week for 52 weeks. We are always the ones behind the camera, this is YOUR chance to get out in front and be in the pictures with our family. We are glad you are joining this challenge. More importantly your family will really enjoy having you in the picture. Thanks for playing along! Oh, you can just jump in now with 1 of 52, you're not getting off that easy! Now go take a picture!

11 comments:

Heather S said...

we've butchered countless chickens this fall, 2 beef, and soon we'll have venison! cute packaging on the elk steaks! :)

Darcie said...

So I take it...hunting season has been a success so far!! I use to love to write on my parents meat packages as well...don't think they have any of those packages left anymore. If they do...time to toss them.

Oh' yes....about that kissing picture. I told my honey he better be good or I will have to block his comments. ;-) He doesn't know that I really can't do that...our secret.

Marice said...

awww u hunt all of those? cool! havent done hunting in my entire life.. well because maybe hunting isnt really on here.. great photo!


u may view mine if u have time

All American Family said...

oh my...looks like it's been a successful hunting season so far! Love the drawing on the one package. ;) I know y'all are making lots of fun memories with your kids.

The J's said...

How cool! Smiles everytime you get a package out!

Elaine said...

So cute, I remember writing on them too when I was a kid. When I was old enough to know better..I thought I was pretty cool and wrote Elk booger instead of elk burger. Love the picture of the poor elk.

Wrena said...

=) I visited ~ can I request a rocking chair and a cup of hot tea for the front porch (wink) I can do a blog background any time ~ I,d enjoy that!! How or what you thinking of?

Kate said...

I love elk meat and deer meat. We pretty much only cook that after hunting season. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Dear Alison,
That is so funny! I found a package in our freezer from when we butchered a pig that said: pig-pork-ham thingy. Isn't life funny?
Love, Rae

Anonymous said...

This is a family memory for me, too... not since we left our farm (and hunting grounds) in 1987, though. I can still "smell" the whole process! Love your little packages... you'll smile each time you pull one out. :)

Carin said...

That is so cool how the kids did the writing, I bet they really enjoyed being able to help in some way. Great pictures to remember when they are on their first elk hunt.