Home on the Range

On the fourth of July, we picked up Mom and Dad for the afternoon and headed to the National Bison Range near St. Ignatius. Mom, Randy, the kids and I had NEVER been inside the range. The last time Dad had been there was when he was in college. We had a great time and saw everything we came to see. Wildlife and scenery! Beautiful! Here are a mix of pictures taken by Randy and I. They are all unedited as I just don't seem to have time to edit right now. Hope you enjoy...







"Did I just hear a discouraging word?"


Although these great animals are truly called Bison, they have been referred to as Buffalo for so many years that the two terms can be used interchangeably. Here are the true differences between the Bison and the Buffalo...*

-Bison have a hairy fur coat on their body which grows thicker in the winters as a protection from the rugged environment they live. Buffaloes do not have thick fur.

-Bison have very sharp horns which they use for their defense. A buffalo's horns aren't very sharp but are longer than a bison's.

-Bison have a huge hump over the top of their front two legs which Buffaloes do not have.

-Bison also have a thick beard that circles around their rib cage but Buffaloes do not have a thick beard.

-A Bisons' temperament is associated with its rugged structure and it can be a very attacking animal when threatened, Buffalo, on the other hand is a peaceful animal. This is also the reason why it is domesticated.

-Buffaloes grow up to 5 feet in size while Bison may grow to 6 feet.

-Bison can run faster than Buffaloes.

-Buffaloes can weigh between 800-1200 kgs while Bison can weigh up to 1400 kgs.




Thank you gkey for reminding me of this great old song to play along with my post. It fits perfectly!



*this information comes from here.

10 comments:

Aleta said...

Wow! Everything looks so beautiful! Neat pix.

gkey said...

dear Home Home on the Range,

I love ALL the photos.
Man, am i in the mood to travel West. Of course I LOVE the east and the south too. but STILL. you and Amy b. have whetted the NorthWestern appetite in me! It has been laying dormant while we've been off in the other directions.

love,
do Bison sing? Just wondering
in
NE

gkey said...

p.s.
I especially enjoyed seeing the real bison. We mostly see Fiberglass Buffalo on our prairie.(heehee)
at
KeoniCountry
in
NE

Darcie said...

I can't say that I have ever heard of this place, but what a great place to visit. Would you just look at the size of those buffalo...I forget just how big they are.

Raimie said...

Dear Buff,
My kiddos are clamoring to go see those big guys! T-boy wants to bring his bow and arrow! ;)

Love,
Watch Out Here We Come in NE

Melinda said...

Wow, don't worry about the editing. These are great pics. My favorite is the bison getting a drink - you were so close - yikes!. I also love the mountains and scenery pics.

Jackie said...

Those are really nice, photos, I forgot how neat it is there, we will have to take a trip!

Heather S said...

wow, oh wow! i am NEVER disappointed in your pics!

The Rancher's Wife Kate said...

How fun to see pictures of your trip! They are so wonderful. :) I always love checking in on your part of the world Alison.

Anonymous said...

There are buffalo there after all! Great pictures, even w/o editing.