Home for the Harvest

Tall buildings outlined by approaching dawn,
Like the silo silhouette bein' slowly drawn,
On the skyline scene from the farm-yard lawn,

And the
front porch from which I have gone.

I thought the city would give to me,

A life of ease, a life carefree,
I try to deny that I long to be,

Home for the harvest, naturally.

Home for the harvest is where I'll be,

Home where my family is needing me,
Home where my heart can wander free,
Home for the harvest, naturally.

Does the moon still rise to the coyotes call,
And hang in the skies o'er the wheat so tall,
Like an old yellow hat on the hook in the hall,
When I'm home for the harvest in the fall?


Is the air still heavy with approaching dusk,
Is it hot and thick with the combine dust,

Is supper still cheered, are the breakdowns cussed?
Get me home for the harvest, yes I must.

Home for the harvest is where I'll be,
Home where my family is needing me,
Home where my heart can wander free,
Home for the harvest, naturally.

I miss planting, branding, the old swing tree,

Home for the harvest, I will be.

~Chuch Suchy
www.chuchsuchy.com

9 comments:

Melinda said...

What a neat picture and song. Makes me want to be there too!

Anonymous said...

Nice post!! Harvest is a special time because all the hard work pays off and the fruit of it is gathered in(a spiritual lesson in this too). Miss you!! Dad's in Cooke City all week so miss you all!! Mom

Ryan said...

Great poem and picture! Sure thinking of you all during harvest and wishing we could be there too!

Wrena said...

:) Close to my heart, Lucky to have such opportunitys still, thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Special verses to go with your memories and the beautiful picture! I'm going to see if I can find an audio version of the song.

Happy Harvest!

Benjamin Ranch said...

I Love the poem and the picture. So nice you are there to help with harvest!

Heather said...

oh alison. this makes me miss the farm sooo much!! Harvest was always such a busy, but awesome time.

The Rancher's Wife Kate said...

Lovely Shot Alison! I am listening to your play list right now as I edit pictures. :)

gkey said...

dear HarvestHoney,

We are not there yet here. The corn looks so lovely, and we enjoy the feeling of it all around us. Then that day in the Fall when it goes "down" the views all change again.
Enjoy! Great song/poem too.

love,
The tall waving green fields for a while yet
at
KeoniCountry
in
NE