Memory Lane Monday: Looking Together


In July we had a family reunion- a result of the union of my Great Grandparent's in the picture above. I will try and post some pictures soon of our reunion and some of our other July happenings.

About this picture. It was taken in Norway. It was probably an engagement picture because they did not marry until they where reunited in America. My great grandfather, Marcus, left Norway to make a life for them in America. His soon to be wife, Borghild joined him a short time later in Wisconsin.

They married on June 23, 1908 in Wisconsin. In 1909 they headed to Minnesota and then later onto Montana where they homesteaded and raised their family. I wish I could share all the pictures with you today of their little homestead soddy, their 10 children, their life of seeming toil and desolation... but more than this, their richness of spirit and endurance, their patience and love of family and God.

When I look at this picture, I wonder... Did they have any idea what their future would hold? I'm sure they knew he would be leaving for their new life soon and she would follow later. They may not have been gazing at each other in love, the kind of unabashed, brazen love you see so much of these days that only lasts for a moment. Together, they were looking ahead, ready to meet the future, whatever it would hold for them, for better or for worse... That's a love that last's the ages. That's a love that we can even share in today as we continue to celebrate the unity of their lives and the love of family.

What's around the next corner on Memory Lane?
See you next Monday!


From This Front Porch

Grab my button and take your own walk down memory lane every Monday!
(copy and paste this code)

Don't forget to leave me a comment so I can walk along with you...

7 comments:

Benjamin Ranch said...

that was lovely Alison, thanks! I've been missing you and thinking of you!

Melinda said...

Very well written, Al. I was so glad to have won this very picture at the reunion. I have it on a shelf next to my bed. I have also wondered what would have been on their minds at this time. No doubt they had hopes and dreams as well as fears and sadness about leaving their families. What a wonderful legacy they have left for us!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Alison. Do you know what year they died? I don't know if I actually met them after our family moved to Kalispell in 1976 or if I just saw pictures of them. (I hate to admit my memory is that poor.)

Betty Figarelle

Janette said...

Thanks for your interesting post on this picture. We also won a print of it at the reunion. I didn't know it was taken in Norway. We too are thankful for the example of enduring love they left for us.

gkey said...

dear Enduring Example,

The best kind to have in ones' family history.
Enjoyed the story very much!

love,
Tributes and admiration for The great grandparents who came first
to
America

The Parsons Family said...

I also got one of these pictures from the "picture auction". I am glad to know the story behind the picture. I need to write it down and put it in with the picture. Then my kids will someday know about it. So good to see your family at the reunion. Also, congratulation. Busy days ahead!!

MaryAnn said...

Its kind of hard to believe thats really them cause I've no memory of them not smiling, laughing or somehow showing the joy in their hearts on their faces.

Seems like I've heard that for some reason back then it was not a good thing to smile for pictures - or maybe it was the unknown anticipation of leaving the "old country" and journeying on to the new land, or having to be apart so long. Interesting