From Sand To Chip

Sometimes I ask my husband "what in the world do you do all day?" Mostly he ignores me but once and a while he tries to explain it to me. At some point I usually get that lost look in my eyes and say "whatever you say..."

A couple weeks ago, he showed me this fascinating video and I finally said "OH, now I get it...... kinda..." Some of you may find this video interesting too. So this is how computer chips are made...






He has been to this AMD Fab in Dresden, Germany. The copper technology in this video is the technology of his company and he helped design the tools that do the copper process along with many of the other tools that do processes on these silicon wafers that eventually become computer chips. Those computer chips go into your computer and make it do the things it does.

'Nough said...


2 comments:

Aleta said...

Wow! How interesting! I, too, feel like I understand it a little more now! Thanks for this post, Alison.

gkey said...

dear Learning Chip,

Hey, thanks; I have a kid, who was just wondering about this the other day!

love,
Just in time
in
NE