Memory Lane Monday: Dresden, Germany-Oct. 1999

Boat on the Elbe River bordering the Czech Republic

Back in April, I started out these Memory Lane Monday posts with a post about the streets of Dresden. These pictures were all taken by Randy when he was on a trip to Dresden in October of 1999 for work. I really enjoyed seeing all the sights that he saw through his pictures and now it's fun to go back and look at them again...

The following three pictures are taken of the KöenigsteinSaxony's Impenetrable Fortress overlooking the Elbe River below.





The Schloss Moritzburg Castle (below) was built from 1542–1546 as a hunting lodge.

The Semperoper Opera House was first built in 1841.

Beautiful architecture inside and old church.

The Zwinger Palace was constructed in stages from 1710 to 1728.
Many of the buildings above were damaged during the bombing of World War II and had to be restored over the following years.

Below is a newer building. If you watched the video in the last post (From Sand to Chip) you may recognize it. It is the AMD Fab in Dresden. Randy took this picture as he was flying out.

So, currently Randy is on another business trip. He is in the 45 largest state. 159 miles from N. to S. and 89 miles at it's greatest width. Population is over 621,760. He had a maple turkey sandwich for lunch and he went to bed about 2 hours ago. Any guesses where he is? (sorry, no prizes this time ;)

What's around the next corner on Memory Lane?
See you next Monday!


From This Front Porch

Grab my button and take your own walk down memory lane every Monday!
(copy and paste this code)

Don't forget to leave me a comment so I can walk along with you!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

He's in Vermont! Am I right?

Darcie said...

So glad to see Memory Lane Monday back! You always have the most gorgeous of pictures to share.

You have been quite the little gamer lately. ;-) I am going with Jenny's guess too...Vermont.

Ryan said...

So fun to see pictures from Europe and remember my own trip to Austria where the architecture is very similar. Hope Randy has a good trip to the other V state(:

Raimie said...

Dear Ali,
That's so nice how he saw everything through those dark vignettes... makes for lovely pictures! ;)


All jokes aside, thanks for sharing! I loved my time in Europe as a sixteen year old and would love to go back again.
Love,
Raimie

Seizing My Day said...

Gorgeous pictures!! I was in Prague just days before the country split... beautiful city... I wish I had seen it in summer though!! =) we back packed our way through Europe in December!! I loved the history and architecture ...we really lack that here in the USA! well... especially on the west coast! (we were on a bible school winter break!) ;)

gkey said...

dear Dresden Delights,

In recent years I have had some beginnings of a desire to go to Germany. My childhood friend lives there with her husband and family. Ten years ago both my older girls went as young teens and now they want to go again and take me...and KitKat this time.

love,
This IS helping their case already
in
NE