Memory Lane Monday: Grandma Jean's Bosch!

I couldn't let this day go by without posting a memory post about Grandma Jean's Bosch Mixer. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had been wanting to get a Bosch mixer so that I could make bigger batches of bread than just the 2 loaves I normally make from my bread machine. After I posted about this, Randy's Dad asked us if we would like to have the Bosch that they bought years ago for Randy's Mom to make bread with. We said sure, we'd love to have it. On a recent quick visit, Dad brought it with him.

So today, I got it out and made 6 pounds of bread dough. I couldn't believe the capacity of the bowl! (It can hold up to 8 pounds!) And it mixed it up so quickly! Then I transferred it to my bread bowl to raise it. After about an hour it was completely poofed up and spilling over the edge. I punched it down and divided it into the 4 bread pans (2 large and 2 medium) that I had and still had some left over to make buns for supper. Here is a picture of Colter checking out the finished products after he got home from school...


I am still in the experimenting stage. I'm looking for more medium size bread pans because I think I like that size best. I'm also not sure how long to mix the dough in the mixer. The bread was so moist and delicious but had a few bubbles in it. It's a work in progress that I don't mind working on one bit.

Although my Mom never had a Bosch, I do remember her making bread when we where younger. Randy remembers very well the excitement of his Mom when they bought this amazing mixing machine and I can totally understand why she felt this way! He remembers her weekly bread making and the smell and taste. He commented on it even today.

I posted about this on facebook today and received some fun comments about peoples memories of making bread for their families or remembering their Mothers making bread when they were growing up. Do you have special memories that the smell and taste of bread bring back to you?

What's around the next corner on Memory Lane?
See you next Monday!


IT'S A NEW YEAR!!! JOIN US FOR MEMORY LANE MONDAY AND SHARE YOUR PAST MEMORIES AND PICTURES WITH US. 1 YEAR AGO OR 100 YEARS AGO?! LETS WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE TOGETHER!!!

From This Front Porch

Grab my button and take your own walk down memory lane every Monday!
(copy and paste this code)

Don't forget to leave me a comment so I can walk along with you!

7 comments:

Wrena said...

What a special gift and legend so to speak. Cute picture of Colter's approval :D

Heather S said...

mmm. its hard to beat fresh out of the oven bread.
i dont' remember my mom baking fresh bread.. but i certainly remember making bread with my gma.. she'd give me my own 'bread' to knead and shape. somehow my bread always turned out (thanks to gma quietly and sneakily switching my dough with hers)

Aleta said...

I made bread for so long with my mom (and that Bosch), that when I got married, one of the things I bought right away was SIX large bread pans!!! Now I look at them and chuckle, because I have never used all six at once. But, back then I just thought that's the way I would do it because that's the way Mom did it!!! :)

Melinda said...

My mouth is watering!

Mo said...

We also grew up with a Bosch. My mom made lots of dough with it - more for cinnamon rolls and dinner rolls than for bread. Fun to think about the memories and recall the yummy aroma in the kitchen.

After my mom passed away, and we were sorting things before Dad moved to another place...I inherited the Bosch and have LOVED having it. Especially in the last few months I've used it a lot to make bread and cookies. Always brings back fond memories as I turn it on and start mixing things! :)

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make the best whole wheat biscuits. They were so soft and fluffy and were so good with her homemade raspberry jam. I can remember her kneading a huge pile of dough by hand. She also made loaves of bread, but I especially liked the biscuits.

Betty Figarelle

gkey said...

dear Proof of Yeast,

Nothing beats that yeasty yummy smell of home~baked goodness wafting from the oven and onto the counter to cool....
A dear lady who was like another Mom to me in my early teens taught me to make bread. I love the feeling of kneading it by hand, forming the loaves, "spanking" the air bubbles out and setting them in the pans. Over the years the kids have all had to have a "snitch" now and then before it ever gets in the pan though.
Then there is the letting them 'play' with some and make a tiny loaf with butter and cinnamon sugar tucked up somewhere in the middle just for them.

love,
Its always the best fresh and warm
in
NE