MADE

MADE by dana has been a huge inspiration for me lately to do some sewing. So, that is where my post title comes from. :)

I hate to be a complainer but... so, so many times I've been known to complain about the availability of "age-appropriate" skirts for my 11 year old. There just isn't enough "skirt" to the Junior section skirts of most clothing stores (if you know what I mean). And skipping up to ladies XS sizing just doesn't work either. I have a hard enough time finding skirts that I like in ladies clothing as a matter of fact.

I always ask myself "why don't you just make her some skirts". Then I laugh at myself and go back to changing diapers, helping with homework, or folding clothes. But then Dana and other sewing bloggers stepped in and encouraged me to get out my sewing machine and try making another skirt for my daughter.

One of the best things about this sewing project was that I didn't have to buy anything. I had the material. I had the zipper. I had a cute pattern. No excuses!
I cut out the smallest pattern and then made a couple adjustments. I was a little nervous about the 'invisible zipper' as I had only done 'centered zippers' in the past. I did have to rip it out several times but finally got it right. Not so bad!!!
I really am inspired lately and have been using my sewing machine a lot lately. One of the hardest things for me is that I don't want to stop what I'm doing until it's DONE! Sometimes I can get a little cranky when things get in my way and that is the reason I don't tackle some of the things I want to do. Gotta work on that...

The other thing I realize is that now-a-days, I have a lot more freedom to do stuff like this than I did when I was in the thick of baby/toddler/child rearing. I couldn't do a lot then when my kiddos were smaller and so dependent! But now, when Lita is sleeping I get busy. Some days work. Other days don't work. I guess I just want to encourage other Mother's in the busy years of your life to enjoy your little ones. A day will come when you will be able to do some of these things that you enjoy doing. Nough for now!

Happy Wednesday!
Alison

7 comments:

Heather S said...

I've had a hard time finding decent clothes for our girls. so i now have a bunch of patterns, links saved in favorites, and ideas from pinterest. now to find the time.

Jessie K said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who, once they start something, wants to get it down now! Interruptions also make me cranky! I try to get up before the girls do, then I try to do a little bit while Kale takes a nap, and again after they go to bed. Doesn't always work that way, but that's my goal every day!

Jackie said...

I agree, I have so many things I want to do, but no time. I know the day will come when I have too much time and no kids around, so I am trying to slooow down! Beautiful skirt, pictures, and girl!

tjp said...

MADE is one of my fave blogs, ever! Cute skirt and yay to more sewing as the kids grow and become more independent! : )

Anonymous said...

Have you ever made skirts out of pants for the girls? I tried that recently after seeing "Expanding Beyond Our Borders" do it. It's really easy! I bought a couple of pairs of jeans at the thrift store and was done in less than 90 minutes...The best part about this skirt is the snap and zipper are already in... you just have to add fabric and sew the seams again!

Ryan said...

Love the skirt and pics of Kyla! Funny that you did this post as I just discovered Made by Dana after Thanksgiving and was going to do a post on the shirt dress I made Morgan from her website. I could lose myself in her website and all the cute ideas - and I tried to ... before finally getting cranky and stepping away from the computer b/c the kids needed attention!(:

The J's said...

Very nice!! I sewed alot when my kids were younger, then went quite a few years without doing it. The last couple years I've enjoyed some sewing again, especially for my grandkids.