Mod Podge Coasters and Pinterest

I had seen this idea one time on a blog somewhere and filed it mentally in my brain so someday I could make them. But my brain doesn't always remember things very well, so in December, I was ready to make some of these for gifts, and I began my search for them and couldn't find the post or the blog anywhere! I did a quick google search and luckily there were many places that had tutorials on how to do these. Now I want to share them with you...

These would be great gifts for anytime. Here is what you will need...
tiles(Lowes for around .17), felt, foam brush, mod podge, tacky glue, gloss sealer(optional) and pretty cardstock


Begin by cutting cardstock squares that fit the top of the tiles, leaving a small edge around the perimeter...

With the mod podge and your foam brush, glue each piece of cardstock to the top of each tile...

Glue down(with the mod podge) any edges and corners and then let dry...

With the foam brush, apply mod podge to the surface of the tile and around edges. Smooth and let dry. After each layer is dry, apply another layer until you have six layers...

Now, cut the felt into square pieces to glue to the bottom of each tile coaster. Glue down with tacky glue and let dry. Make sure to glue down any loose edges and corners...

This makes a nice finished, no scratch back to your coaster...

In the end I decided not to use the glossy sealer on these. I tried it on one of the coasters and I just didn't like how it turned out. But FYI... If you don't use the sealer, it's important to let the mod podge cure for 17 days before using it for hot stuff.

These turned out to be great teachers gifts too. I really liked using mod podge. Hmmm, what can I do next?

So I was invited to join Pinterest a long time ago and really wanted to use it. I knew it would help me keep and organize all these fun ideas and yummy looking recipes that I see and want to try. My brain isn't very dependable at times. Anyway, I finally figured out how to get signed up without having a facebook account. So, I'm "pinning away"! So many fun ideas, so little time, eh?

Happy crafting,
Alison

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Alison, I'd be interested in learning how you are on Pinterest without the facebook connection. I have facebook but don't like that they want to connect. :) I browse Pinterest but don't pin.

Mo said...

Hi Alison! This is such a neat post!! I enjoy making homemade gifts -- this is a terrific idea that I'm anxious to try sometime! :) Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Very clever idea. I bet I could even manage to make a few of these. Thanks for sharing this.

Betty Figarelle

Ryan said...

Love the idea! They would be a fun way to use up paper scraps that just seem to pile up and never get used.

Happy Birthday to Lita!

Alison said...

Amy, I signed up for Pinterest through an unused Twitter account. :)

Heather said...

what a cool idea! My birthday is coming up sooon, ahem. ;) J/K But very cute!!