My Lot in Life



These are the glasses I picked out this time when I went in for my eye check up. I have to admit that I picked them out with my hair in mind. I thought they would accent the sprinkling of gray that resides in my hair these days. Or, better yet, draw the attention away from it.

To be honest, my lifes plans did not include turning gray at age 35. But it seems to be my lot in life, and I've decided to embrace it, along with the encouragement of my loving husband. Maybe I even feel a little bit lucky to have more and more of these shimmering silver embellishments appearing in my hair with each new year that passes. Truth is, I've always known that true beauty resides in the heart and some of the most beautiful people I have known in life wore thier crown of gray with humble dignity.


Father Time is not always a hard parent, and, though he tarries for none of his children,
he often lays his hand lightly upon those who have used him well;
making them old men and women inexorably enough,but leaving their hearts and spirits young and in full vigour.
With such people the grey head is but the impression of the old fellow's hand in giving them his blessing,
and every wrinkle but a notch in the quiet calendar of a well-spent life.
~Charles Dickens

9 comments:

Alison said...

I should add that later I thought about how many people don't ever live long enough to reach 35 or to enjoy seeing their hair turn gray. That kinda puts it all into proper perspective for me. Bring it on!

Is leaving comment for myself kinda like talking to myself?! Another sign of ageing perhaps? ;)

Melinda said...

Love the glasses, love the gray, and love the gal with the sweet sense of humor. I'm pretty sure you can't talk about "old" and 35 in the same post though. You are still a spring chick and I have yet to notice any silver strands. Anyway, I do like the quote. I know you'll fit that description when you DO grow old.

Ryan said...

Have to agree with Melinda - you're not old!(: Love the new glasses and hope you're having a good spring break (it is this week isn't it?).

Aleta said...

Okay, Alison. I can whole-heartedly relate to this one. Thanks for embracing the gray. I too, have decided to embrace my ever-increasing gray hairs! We're in this together! I too have known so many beautiful people with beautiful gray hair. And, like you say, it's a privilege to live long enough to turn gray. Love the glasses!

Heather said...

I for one think you are still just as beautiful with gray hair and I think that growing old gracefully is one of the best things we all can do. So may people fight it with dying their hair, and anti wrinkle creams and fake tanning and dieting and all sorts of gimmick to look younger. But I think we earn every one of those gray hairs and wrinkles ;) And it so much more natural too, yo ucan always tell the beach bottle blondes who are still dying their hair in their 50 and 60's and they look kinda silly really. You go girl! And you still so purty!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I, too, turned gray at a very young age. When the gray started appearing in my late 20's, it wasn't real encouraging when my mom reminded me of a much older cousin who was completely gray by 30! However, I knew I wouldn't dye it, and I knew if I kept pulling them out, I'd end up bald...not a good alternative. One perk - at age 45 I was given the senior citizen discount at Arby's without asking! (I wasn't too happy about that, but realized to the young teen boy I must've looked ancient since his grandmother probably dyes her hair and isn't gray!) I admire you for embracing it and letting the silver strands show.

amy and marilyn said...

My mother was grey as long as I can remember, and her daughters have followed the "early greying" pattern. I like mine! It doesn't seem like your silver strands show yet in pictures, Alison. The new glasses are very pretty. And what a great new picture of your 4 on the sidebar! We commented several times on how much more our brother-in-law is looking like your Grandpa! (Such a mish mash of subjects in my comment, didn't really mean to write a book!)

Lani said...

Ooo...ooo...ooo.... I LOVE them!