The Best Birthday Ever: Kyla Turns 10!

Kyla turned 10 years old on the 24th of August. I could go on and on wondering where the past 10 years went but the truth is... I just don't know the answer. It just flew by and here we are, enjoying our little lady, not even daring to think about the next 10 years.

She wanted to go out to Sizzler for supper. I think she likes the dessert bar. ;) So, we all went out, including Grandpa and Grandma...

Then we went back to Grandpa and Grandma's house for cake and gifts. Dairy Queen ice cream cakes are the BEST!

One of the things she had mentioned that she would like was her very own tent. Randy and I got her one and her brother and sister got her a lantern to hang up in it. She declared it was the best birthday she has ever had. I think it had a lot to do with the tent.
I wish I had a picture of her and Colter a few nights later as we tucked them into their sleeping bags inside the tent, which they set up in our backyard. They were so excited! Later that night, I was awakened by the sound of the coyotes in full force in the foothills behind our house. I hear them nearly every night through our open bedroom window. I thought for sure my brave little outdoor adventurers would be in the house in a flash. After a little while I heard the tent unzip and footsteps across the porch and the back door opening. Turns out the howling woke up Kyla and she was coming in for a restroom break. She headed right back out and I didn't see either of them again until morning.

It was supposed to be Maya's turn a couple of night later but with our colder temps, rain and then school starting the next week, it never worked out for them to stay in the backyard. Instead they braved the downstairs playroom and slept in the tent down there one night. Maya was going to have her turn too! There are a few strange noises in our basement so I think she was very brave too! ;)



12 comments:

Wrena said...

Darling ~ and Happy Late Birthday Dear K.

MaryAnn said...

She really is a brave girl! I remember LOVING to sleep outside when I was a kid, but unless I had those older sisters and cousins to protect me, I'd have never made it through the night - ha.

Very nice birthday and great pictures!

Thanks

Benjamin Ranch said...

oh you have a beautiful daughter! girls grow up so fast...10 going on 15! I loved hearing about the tent adventures :)

Darcie said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet 10 year old...she is just beautiful! I agree...don't think about the next 10...live in this moment.

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl! We also have a brand-new 10-year-old in our house, so I know all about the wondering where those years went!

Shannan Martin said...

She is just gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that tent will get lots of years of good use. Happy birthday, Kyla!

Anna said...

Beautiful girl!!!

Dale or Bonnie said...

Happy birthday Kyla! What a lady she is! We miss seeing you all at gospel mtg, with busy days in Sheridan racing the weather. Hope you are feeling better Alison.

The Rancher's Wife Kate said...

Happy Happy Birthday. We just stayed in a tent, and the boys loved it. Fischer kept telling me "I'm so excited mom!"

gkey said...

Dear, I needed THIS today!

Fun to recall "tenting days" that our kiddos set up here and there....outside, inside....anywhere possible. Usually the setting up was the most fun, often times before the night ended they would sneak into their own beds.

love,
Tent Memories
in
NE

gkey said...

oops, forgot to mention what I really meant to say I needed that quote at the end of your post today!
Thank you, it is being added to my list of favorite quotes.