Thanksgiving 2010-The Way it Was

Our Thanksgiving this year was not how we planned it. Our Thanksgiving this year turned out to be completely picture-less. Neither Randy or I took out the camera the entire time. I did want to remember some about it though, so I though I would write down a few things about it.

-On Monday before Thanksgiving, my Mom and I wanted to get together and make lefse so we planned on starting right away in the morning and finishing up that afternoon. Turns out our dog was sick through the weekend so I though I better get her into the vet right away Monday morning and figure out what was wrong with her because we couldn't bring her to the kennels while we were gone if she was sick. That pretty much took care of my whole morning. Mom and I did end up getting lefse made but it was a hurried and interrupted affair but still special to spend the time together. And we sure enjoyed that lefse later!

-The dog didn't get better after an x-ray and injection and that night Kyla woke up sick. The next day, Tuesday, Randy came home from work sick. We called our family and told them we wouldn't be coming for Thanksgiving. :(

-On Wednesday afternoon, I made a trip to the grocery store and bought a fresh turkey and all the rest of the ingredients to make a Thanksgiving feast. When I got home, Kyla (who was feeling much better!) got busy and made a pumpkin pie right away. That evening after everyone was in bed for the night, I was finishing up my last minute preparations for the next days meal and was working on this post. Randy had gone to bed with a high temperature and still wasn't very well. All the sudden the dog started acting very frantic and strange out in the garage. Finally I had to wake up Randy to help me figure out what to do with her. What followed was a few hours of uncertainty as to what to do with this poor animal. Maybe I will write about that experience sometime. Finally after one o'clock in the morning we were able to go back to bed and get some sleep.

-Although Randy was still feeling pretty miserable on Thursday, we ended up having a really nice Thanksgiving Day. We ate lots of good food, played a few games, read a few stories and the kids played outside for a long time.

-On Friday and Saturday the kids played and played outside and only came in for warm-ups and eating breaks. Randy worked on moving snow. I just enjoyed my days of no running around. On Friday, we did go into town for a couple hours later in the day. Black Friday wasn't so bad at 4 o'clock in the afternoon!

-Had a wonderful day on Sunday with meeting here and then ice skating and potluck with friends. It was a perfect ending to the holiday.

It seemed like this was the Thanksgiving when a lot of people's plans changed due to sickness or weather. Randy and I both commented on how long the break seemed this year. I wonder if it was because we didn't spend 2 days traveling this year. We really missed being with our family and meeting the newest member of the family, little Logan, but it was also nice to have all that time to rest and recoup.

And that's the way it was,

3 comments:

Aleta said...

Glad your Thanksgiving turned out okay after all. We sure missed you!

Raimie said...

Dear Changin' It Up,
Awww! Shucks! Sorry it didn't go down the way it was planned... glad you found a way to see the silver lining tho!

Love,
Our Second Thanksgiving is Sat. in NE

gkey said...

dear Thankful ANYWAY,

Guess you won't forget this one! You KNOW where we were that day...over at John and Darcie's in IA...and then a 2nd round a couple weeks later just down the road at my sis's. I finally cooked a turkey the other day...just because I wanted to re-live the aroma in OUR kitchen this time and have some for the freezer.

love,
Turkey leftover
in
PW's POT-PIE
(in NE)