Sew Cute Skirts

This is my recent sewing project. It was so much fun to get out the serger and complete this project in just a few hours from start to finish!

No, I'm not "Super (sewing) Woman" like some of you others out there, but I have made a few things in my life-my wedding dress, quilts, some skirts, and maternity clothes... Nothing to fancy.

Okay, maybe my sewing projects have been more on the elaborate side-what was I thinking!

Most of that was before I had kids! So, this recent sewing project is one of the simpleist I've done. Here's what I did...




I saw these two adorable jumpers at a store a while back. Knowing that Kyla isn't so into jumper or dresses but always loves a cute skirt, I thought I would just make hers into a skirt. Maya thought hers needed to be turned into a skirt too. So here are the original jumpers...

So after everyone was in bed one night I started by cutting off the tops of the jumpers, just above the gathered elastic strip...

Then I serged along the edges...
Then I cut off the straps from the top part of the jumper and needle stitched them into 4 flowers-2 of each color. Here is the beginning of a flower...
The next morning I cut off the elastic gathered strips from the very top of the jumper and sewed them both into head bands. Then I added one of each flower in the matching color to the headbands...
This is the only material I had left from the jumpers after I completed the skirts, headbands, and flower pins!
Then the fun began. When they got home from school that day, I had them try on their outfits and model them for me. Kyla decared that they were in fact very cute skirts! :)
They will be fun skirts for this spring and summer...
And now the real truth comes out... I bought the jumpers at Walmart for $12 dollars a piece (including white teeshirts). The short sweaters are from Hanna Andersson outfits that I bought 2 years ago. The Hanna skirts got too short but the short sweater style is cuter as it gets shorter so they work perfect. We bought the shoes last fall at Target. So these cute outfits cost me a total of $24 dollars and a few sleepless hours...

And the funnest part for me is that I can tell everyone I made them!

Except for you who know the truth... how easy, how fast, how cheap they really were. How I'm just a cheater, a wanna-be, a teaser...

But I'm okay with that!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!
Alison

11 comments:

Ryan said...

I love them! You are quite crafty, dearie!

Lani said...

These are adorable. If only I liked to sew. *wistful sigh*

Jenny said...

I am not that creative...I love that you made flowers and headbands with the extra fabric!!

The J's said...

Wow! How cool! You did a great job, and got some really great pictures of the girls besides!

Aleta said...

SWEET! That's creativity!!! I LOVE how excited the girls look about their new outfits! "Sew fun!"

tjp said...

Awww....refashioning is so fun! You did a great job--that fabric is adorable (and your girls, too).

Benjamin Ranch said...

how resourceful! and very cute!

Heather said...

SEW cute! I just LOVE the fabric, it looks like liberty fabric and for a fraction of the price. What a smart shopper! Sage doenst like jumpers either, whats the deal with that? so Ive done that to a few of her jumpers over the years, That brown skirt you commented about at brendas party was origianlly a jumper too. Sure makes it a nice easy project, but I wish I could figure out why they dont like jumpers? oh well, at least they aernt wanting to wear mini skirt, right? ;) Guess i wont complain.I have so much sewing to do before convetion and its so hard to find the time, Keep up the good work, your girls are so cute and I think Maya is looking so much like you!

Jessie K said...

I was gonna say... Wedding dress?? Um, that sounds pretty elaborate to me! ;)

Anyway, very cute! I hope you don't mind if I use that idea some day! :D

Heather said...

AND for the record, her wedding dress was beautiful!! As was she..

Anonymous said...

Really cute plan for the dresses. Don't you love it that they still will wear matching outfits, too? They are beautiful, Alison, the girls and the dresses! :)