I ♥ These Ones

Kyla, Sage holding Lita, Elise

It's always amazing to me how much people respond to a baby. They make old men smile and little girls giggle. What is it about a baby that makes eyes turn my way no matter where I am-the post office, grocery store, school, truck stop...

A few weeks ago when I was in Kyla's class helping out, with Lita in her sling, several little 4th grade boys came over to me and gently stroked her fingers and asked questions like "Does she smile?" The teachers and girls all gushed over her at great length but it was the attention of the rough and tumble boys that left me amazed.

At the store she just has to let out a little cry and every woman within 10 yards of us runs over to "coo" and "goo" at her but it always surprises me when full grown men stop what they're doing and come and ask "ohhh, how old is she?" Yesterday in the grocery store, with all four kids, a tough-looking man in his 50's asked me this question and then told us all about his brand new grandchild. Then he told Colter he better protect all his sisters and it would serve him well someday. Another older man looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said, "you are just getting started"... he has 11 children.

I remember this kind of attention when my other kids were babies. I didn't realize how much I missed it until this baby came along. The connecting with others, friends and strangers, over something that is so precious. Something that they find great joy in. No one is embarrassed to love a baby. And no one is embarrassed to show it.


A couch full of kids!

We had a super fun evening with Adrean and Anna and their kids not to long ago. IT was fun to get caught up! Thanks for coming over and playing with us!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

I love your musings about people and their love for babies. You put it so perfectly.

The J's said...

Aw! Love it!

Lani said...

I had forgotten, too, until you wrote this sweet post. She's growing up too fast!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison!

Fun to see my sweet nieces and nephew on here! :) Wow, does it bring a flash back of the amazing fun and excitement of "going to Quigleys house!" as a kid!