Simplify: Week 4

Recently I bought these 2 boards for the hallway. They were a little more $$$ than I wanted to spend but they have been well worth the $$$ so far! I really had no other big wall space to put them so I decided on the hall. We quickly found out it's the perfect place to put them! We are constantly walking up and down the hall throughout the day so it is a continual reminder.

The calander makes it easy to write down what we need to remember throughout the month...
The bulletin board holds a combination of lists, reading records, lunch menu's and chore lists. This was all stuff that used to clutter up the front of the fridge or the kitchen counter. Then we could never find what we really needed when we needed it.

I made up these chore lists for the kids. Just 6 simple chores before school and 6 simple chores after school. I put pictures with them and the kids have thanked me for it because it makes it easier for them to look at it and see what they are supposed to do...
I saw this 'picture chore list' idea somewhere on a blog. There are so many cute kids chore charts out there that I would love to put together but for now... I decided to keep it simple!
And then there is my chore list. I saw this list idea somewhere on a blog too!...
And in case you can't read that this is what it says...


15 Minutes a Day Cleaning Schedule


Mondays: Clean back bathroom including toilet, counter, mirror, tub, shower, floor. {Total time: 15 to 20 minutes}

Tuesdays: Dust house {Total time: 15 minutes depending on knick knack amount} Occasionally wipe down nice furniture with polish.

Wednesdays: Vacuum house thoroughly - vacuum each room, occasionally do vents and curtains and window crevices. {Total time: 25 to 30 minutes depending on house size}

Thursdays: Clean front bathroom including toilet, counters, mirror, tub, shower, floor. {Total time: 15 to 20 minutes}

Fridays: Clean kitchen-mop floor and clean counter tops with anti-bacterial product. {Total time: 15 to 20 minutes}

Saturdays: Other small projects or NOTHING at all!!

Maintain house daily by picking up things and immediately putting items away or in a basket to take downstairs or to other rooms. Throw junk mail away immediately and sort out incoming mail for hubby. Have kids pick up toys before leaving house, or changing to doing something new.

Other Weekly Routine Items

Sunday Evenings: Get organized for the week

Mondays: Laundry

Tuesdays: Groceries, Errands

Wednesdays: Ironing

Thursdays: Bake Bread

Fridays: Clutter Buster Day

Saturdays: Free/Whatever
needs doing


There is something about seeing the "15 minutes a day Cleaning Schedule" that really makes me excited about doing my cleaning for that day. Some days go good, others not so good. Yeah, I'm still working on the dusting for this week...

But, with each new day, I just like seeing the "little bit" that I need to do for that day. Even though I'm not really into a 'rhythm' quite yet with this, I can already say it's really helping me. Seeing it helps me do it! I think that's the way it is for the kids too!

Happy weekend far and near!
Alison

P.S. Don't forget to stop by Joellyn's Blog for some great tips on handling hand-me-downs. I'm gonna have to go throw a few more items in my thrift store boxes!!!

3 comments:

Raimie said...

Dear Ali,
You are doing awesome!

I learned a big lesson when I read The Fly Lady's book about howthat a short/organized amount of time every day is WAY better than a HUGE amount of work on the day I really need the house clean!

It's a struggle to stay on track all the time but it REALLY helps to at least have a plan so you have directions when you are able to work at it.

Love,
Craving Clean in NE

Joellyn said...

Thanks for the mention! I have similar forms of your boards too and it really helps. I also try to have a cleaning schedule. Flexibility has been key, but it always feels good when I can get back to my schedule! Your chore chart idea is something I really want to try. Where I really fail is in keeping track so they have a way to earn money.

Anonymous said...

Allison,
Today we were at craft show, and there was goat soap/lotion/lip balm etc...so I got a bar :) So far I like it..even though it has been less than 12 hours!