Hold That Thought!



Sometimes I fancy myself a writer. I would love to tell myself that I am and I can almost convince myself, at times.  But very little of what I ever write in my head ever makes it onto the paper.  I was reminded of this poem that I wrote in college and I had to find it this morning...


Writer's Block

Thoughts come to me, beautiful, fresh,
They drift and fall upon me like snowflakes,
I reach out to catch them on my fingertips, 
as I walk from class to class.

As I race from here to there, they come to me,
verses and lines, they swell and swirl like the snow,
Tis the unspoken poetry of my mind,
the unsung song of my lips,
the unwritten prose of my heart,
right there at my fingertips.

At last I sit down with a clean, white, lined sheet of paper,
pencil poised...
And on my fingertips,
the little flakes of snow melt away.

~ajq
Nov. 1996
(revised and edited-May 2012)



I've heard of people who carry a little notebook with them all the time so they can grab it and write down stuff when they think of it.  Sometimes I think I should try it.  So, please excuse me if I stop in the middle of the road...
 I hope your heart is swelling with beautiful thoughts today!
Alison

4 comments:

Darcie said...

From one hopeful inspiring blog writer...to another...I LOVE how you write! I find since I have slowed down on blogging words come to me less. Blogging would be the easiest thing for me in all reality to let go, but I LOVE to write, and so I continue to blog.

Beautiful poem!

MaryAnn said...

Very cool. Write, write, write away ~ I love to read read read :)

Melinda said...

You are so talented, sis, in so many ways! Thanks for keeping us inspired!

Mo said...

What a great poem Alison! Loved your poem and post! I agree with Melinda - you are very talented in many ways!